Monday, December 10, 2007

Brand Mystique


After 100 years, absinthe is back in liquor stores. Now that absinthe has been made legal in the United States it is making advertisers wonder how to market this liquor which has a mystique unlike any other alcohol on the market. Often, the goal with marketing a liquor is to create mystique and a sense of wonder about the product. Since absinthe already has a mystique surrounding it has the job for advertisers already been done? Kubler, an absinthe importer, is taking a campaign route that puts an emphasis on the old European history of absinthe. The ad campaign includes photos (see images above and below) of individuals we assume are European, indulging in absinthe. There is also the presence of fairies, or nymphs, which are supposed to summon the urban legend of absinthe being a hallucinogenic alcohol. All in all Kubler is doing a great job with this campaign. Along with the ads they have been hosting parties in all the big cities. Since Kubler is only one of two absinthe importers to the U.S. I can imagine they'll be doing very well in sales. (photos from Adage.com)

5 comments:

Samantha Axelrod said...

I've been noticing and bars and liquor stores are now carrying Absinthe. hmmm... I am going to Barcelona where Absinthe is served with the screen and the sugar cube thing with the fire. I don't know, thats what I'm told. I'll tell you about it when it happens. :)

gwillis said...

I like the bottom ad with the Absinthe fairies. I tried the stuff in London, but I guess it wasn't the real real stuff in the rest of Europe. Or so I was told. A friend brought some back to the States in 2005, and we tried it. I woke up not knowing what happened, and I remember that the just the smell of the drink the next day made me sick to my stomach. Good luck to the advertisers with this one!

49ers Faithful Fan said...

I like your blog, it's informative. You point out some useful information, especially since I wasn't aware of the issue.
I'm not sure if I would try Absinthe, but I do know some people who would. It is interesting to know that one drink could be very strong...I wonder if I'll actually ever try it or not???

Great work!

Ryannn said...

One thing to note about absinthe is that it tastes terrible. It's like Jagermeister mixed with mouthwash. A friend and I drank most of a bottle she got from Prague and it was definitely different from just straight-up liquor.

It'll be tough to sell something that tastes so awful, plus the REAL real absinthe can still only be found in Prague anyway (MUCH higher grain alcohol and more wormwood). I'm sure it'll be a fad with hipsters for a while, though. They'll drink anything imported or cheap. Oxymorons.

Jet said...

Advertisers got screwed when it was made illegal. Heh.
I was wondering why when I had absinthe a little while ago a S.W.A.T. team didn't bust a cap in my good time.